Click on the position(s) below for details on how to apply.
Senior Game Dev Manager
The Security Awareness Company, a small, Nashville-based corporate training development company, seeks a game development superhero in the making!
This person will be responsible for leading the development process of so-called “serious games” in Unity, including coding the game itself (with help!) and managing the roadmap of each project. They will need to have a strong background in programming and game development, both front and back end, with a Senior level of experience. They will be in charge of ensuring that projects are completed on time and corralling the dev team to get things done, as well as serving as a mentor to their team in terms of programming, development, and leadership.
No one gets rich working here at SAC; but you do get freedom, flexibility, and work-life balance. This is a lifestyle company, where you get to do great work with a talented, fun, hard-working team of people, and get to live the way you want to live.
Official benefits kick-in after the first 90 days. These include:
- health insurance options (with 100% paid premiums), plus dental/vision options;
- a 401(k) with 3% matching through our parent company;
- 100% remote and flexible schedule;
- unlimited vacation.
- We also receive bonuses on a monthly basis from our parent company that correlate to the number of sales brought in;
Unofficial benefits include:
- working from home (save on expensive clothes, gas, commuting time, lunches out, etc.);
- working with awesome nerdy creative people who value hard work, a sense of humor, and a strong margarita;
- fun company gatherings;
- a company culture that encourages learning and creativity;
- more time to sleep or do other things you love (because you no longer have to commute);
- a healthier lifestyle (studies show that people who work from home exercise more and eat healthier);
- more pet snuggles (if you have a pet) or time with the kids (if you have offspring);
- get a sweet company shirt each year;
- make all of your friends jealous because you can sleep until 8:45 and still be at work on time. 🙂
TIMEFRAME AND TIME COMMITMENT
FULL-TIME 40/hours week. You will work from home, and will need a dedicated workspace with minimal distractions. We use instant messaging, group chats, intranet, emails, and conference calls to communicate internally. There will be opportunities for you to work one-on-one with a few members of our team in their home offices, and to interface in real life, including (but not limited to) monthly co-work days and bi-annual all-hands company meetings.
The hours are flexible, but most of our employees work 9-5ish. We believe in a ROWE – Results Only Work Environment. As long as your work is always high-quality, on-time (or early!), and creative,, we are flexible in terms of when you work. The key to success here at SAC is great communication and connectivity as well as proving that you’re efficiently completing tasks; establish a weekly schedule and check in with your supervisor often.
- Project roadmap/milestone planning and maintenance
- Coding Unity games/scenes from scratch
- Sprint management
- Adapting stock assets to fit our unique needs
- Collaborating with team of elearning, graphic, QA, and dev to take games from conceptualization to shipped
- Modifying API calls
- Debugging and troubleshooting
- Juggling multiple game projects at once
- Dev team mentorship (e.g. best practices, walkthroughs, quality resources)
- Backlog grooming
TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Unity and C# languages
- Multiple areas of game engineering such as asset creation, gameplay, game audio, AI/ML/DL, pathfinding, animation, physics, UI, and/or game mechanics
- UI implementation
- Video performance optimization
- Assessment, development, debugging, and maintenance of code standards
- Agile development process
- Databases, mobile app development, and source control systems
EXPERIENCE THAT WOULD BE A PLUS (BUT NOT NECESSARY):
- Google Docs, Google Drive and G Suite
- L&D in the adult e-learning space
- Swift for iOS
- Java or C/C++ for Android
- Full Stack developer a HUGE plus (AWS, Ruby, SQL, Vue.js)
- Adobe software (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
- UI/UX mockups and flow
- SCORM knowledge or experience
MUST-HAVE SOFT SKILLS:
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Insane attention to detail. Annoyingly so. We want you to be so nitpicky and detail-oriented, that normal people would get annoyed (we promise we won’t!)
- Ability to work fast, on deadline and reliably, no exceptions! You can NOT be a procrastinator. You must be the very opposite of someone who procrastinates.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, takes initiative. We cannot emphasize this enough! No time for laziness or someone just looking for punch-in-punch-out job.
- Discipline!!!! Not everyone is cut out for remote work. You must have the ability to work efficiently, consistently, reliably from home, without someone standing over your shoulder micromanaging you.
- Air traffic controller style level of time/file/project management. Luckily, there will be no lives in your hands, but you must remain calm under pressure, when the to-dos keep stacking up. There will be days where it feels like everything is heading towards the same path of collision.
- Excellent written communication skills. We communicate primarily through chat apps and our intranet.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills – like Sherlock Holmes level. Must have excellent Google-fu.
- Ability to self-teach and learn on your own without someone always holding your hand; and STRONG DESIRE to learn all the time! We will train you but since this is a remote position, you have to take responsibility for a lot of the learning by using the tools and resources we provide.
- Knack for working smarter, not harder. We love finding more efficient and logical ways to accomplish tasks, and want to hear your ideas.
- Work well with a team, communicating regularly, assisting team members, and truly living the concept of being a ‘team player.’ We don’t have time or bandwidth for egos or prima donnas.
- Brain full of ideas, sense of humor, positivity, and optimism! A positive attitude will get you a long way.
- Tenacious work ethic. You’ll do whatever it takes to get the job done, even if it’s a task you’re not thrilled about, without becoming demoralized, downtrodden, or whiny.
- Follow, respect, and abide SAC’s 10 core principles.
- Ability to meet in Nashville minimum twice a year for our mandatory bi-annual all-hands company meetings (2 day events), and come to town for other team work opportunities throughout the year.
- Live in the greater Nashville area.
A college degree is not necessary. Experience, willingness to learn, discipline to work from home, and a Batman-sized toolbelt of skills are far more important in our opinion! (For more on our hiring philosophy, watch one of our fearless leader’s talks from RSA here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9cdzLi6-o, and you might want to take a look at http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Office-Required-Jason-Fried/dp/0804137501/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462298152&sr=1-1&keywords=remote+book which is essentially a good hard look at how we work as a successful company.)
WANT TO WORK WITH US? EVEN AFTER ALL THAT?
Huzzah! Then click here to apply! (You will be redirected to our parent company’s website to fill out the initial application). We look forward to hearing from you! Note that due to time constraints, we will only respond to those submissions that we want to interview. Please don’t take it personally!
Why Work For Us?
- The work is fast-paced and always changing, so you’re never bored. Our company has developed a reputation for our creativity, passion, and willingness to push the envelope.
- Opportunity to attend industry conferences, network with cool folks and learn a ton! You will be supported in the expansion and improvement of your skillset, including participation in relevant conferences, workshops, or online training.
- Our company is more than 60% female so that’s cool and different for the information security industry!
- Work from home, in your PJs, with your cat! You get to work remotely at all times with flexible hours. We meet in-person for things like game nights, holiday parties, and departmental & all-hands-on-deck meetings.
- As a team, we work together as a close knit “family” in which everyone is as important and necessary as everybody else; we are a team. Primadonnas, ego maniacs, slackers, control freaks, and people who “do not play well with others” will not do well and need not apply.
- We don’t care whether or not you have a college degree; we don’t care if you’re a stay-at-home parent, student or part-time banjo enthusiast; we don’t care if you’re tattooed, pierced, cybernetically-enhanced, web-footed, etc. We only care about quality work, efficiency, and a passionate work ethic. (For more on our hiring philosophy, watch our Fearless Founder’s recent talk from RSA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9cdzLi6-o)
- Awesome company culture. We’re all a bunch of weirdos who celebrate our differences, love our pets, and value a teamwork & work-life balance. Learn more about us from our About Us page. We have low staff turnaround as people don’t tend to leave SAC by choice. We work hard, play hard, and have a strong GIF game in our group chats.
No one gets rich working here at SAC; but you do get freedom, flexibility, and excellent work-life balance. This is a lifestyle company, where you get to do great work with a talented, fun, hard-working team of people, and get to live the way you want to live.
SAC has been around since 1991, starting out as a family business, that has grown into a small but mighty company. We are a bunch of artists, designers, do-it-yourselfers, writers, musicians, travelers, photographers, readers, programmers, parents, and pet-lovers. While we are spread out across four states and differ in upbringing and interests, we are united by the common goal of having fun while doing exceptional work, exceeding our clients’ expectations, and delivering high-quality products and excellent customer service, all while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. We look for team members who are motivated, creative, curious, hard-working, passionate, and who never stop learning.
While we are based in Nashville and would prefer someone in the greater Nashville area, we are in fact a remote company where every single employee works from their home office. There may be opportunities for you to work one-on-one with a few members of our team in their home offices, and to attend in-person team meetings, but you will need to have a dedicated space at home that you can call your “office” and where you will be productive. You must also thrive at working independently, without a manager checking on you all the time. You will work with your team, but absolutely must be disciplined and reliable in order to successfully work from home. Although there is a good bit of flexibility in your working hours, our employees are available at regular working hours and “show up” to our internal messaging service like others do to an office.
Working here can be crazy. There is always lots to balance, and this is overwhelming for some people. Not everyone thrives in this environment, especially since this is a remote job (working from home). Organization, discipline, and prioritization are must-have skills, as well as total self motivation (we hate micromanaging… no time for it)! Does your crazy match our crazy? Only one way to find out!
SAC’s Core Values
A commitment to culture and customers has helped us grow from humble beginnings as a family company with zero employees and a dozen clients to serving over 100 clients of our own and thousands at our parent company, employing more than a dozen awesome people (and growing!), and being one of the top ranked companies in our industry. Our passion for support, happiness, and quality flows through the content we create and everything we do.
SAC’s culture is driven by respect, transparency, collaboration, and direct feedback. We have no room on our team for disrespect, office politics, or discrimination of any kind. We hate bureaucracy and slow moving organizations – but we’re suckers for well-defined processes. We love lean, iterative improvements, and success is measured by the quality of experience and killer content we create for our clients.
Our core values inform how we treat each other, how we treat our customers, how we design our products, and how we bring them to the world. However, these internal values are not written in stone. They evolve over time as we grow and mature as a company and add new and diverse voices to the team.
- Choose POSITIVITY and happiness.
- Default to TRANSPARENCY and aim for CLARITY.
- EFFICIENCY wins, but we aren’t brain surgeons.
- Make time for SELF-IMPROVEMENT and learning.
- EXCEED expectations and deliver consistent excellence.
- Remember this is a ROWE (Results-Only Work Environment).
- Communicate often and always seek FEEDBACK.
- RESPECT your team and our clients.
- Live SMARTER, not harder.
- Have FUN.