Check out the current available jobs at The Security Awareness Company.
SAC has been around since 1991, starting out as a family business, that has grown into a small but mighty company. We are a bunch of artists, designers, do-it-yourselfers, writers, musicians, travelers, photographers, readers, programmers, parents, and pet-lovers. While we are spread out across four states and differ in upbringing and interests, we are united by the common goal of having fun while doing exceptional work, exceeding our clients’ expectations, and delivering high-quality products and excellent customer service, all while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. We look for team members who are motivated, creative, curious, hard-working, passionate and who never stop learning.
Why Work For Us?
- The work is fast-paced and always changing, so you’re never bored.
- Opportunity to attend industry conferences, network with cool folks and learn a ton!
- You will be supported in the expansion and improvement of your skillset, including participation in relevant conferences, workshops, or online training.
- Our company is more than 60% female so that’s cool and different for the information security industry!
- Our company has developed a reputation for our creativity, passion and willingness to push the envelope.
- Work with a talented group of hard-working, creative people who have helped build our company from the ground up.
- Learn a ton about information security and cyber safety, as well as the exciting world of elearning and corporate training.
- Work from home, in your PJs, with your cat! You get to work remotely at all times with flexible hours. We meet in-person for things like game nights, holiday parties, and departmental & quarterly meetings.
- As a team, we work together as a close knit “family” in which everyone is as important and necessary as everybody else; we are a team. Primadonnas, ego maniacs, slackers, control freaks, and people who “do not play well with others” will not do well and need not apply.
- We don’t care if you have a college degree; we don’t care if you’re a stay-at-home parent, student or part-time banjo enthusiast; we don’t care if you’re tattooed, pieced, cybernetically-enhanced, web-footed, etc. We only care about quality work, efficiency and a passionate work ethic. (For more on our hiring philosophy, watch our Fearless Founder’s recent talk from RSA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9cdzLi6-o)
Working here can be crazy. There is always lots to balance, and this is overwhelming for some people. Not everyone thrives in this environment, especially since this is a remote job (working from home). Organization, discipline and prioritization are must-have skills, as well as total self motivation (we hate micromanaging… no time for it)!
Want to apply? Click on one of the jobs below, scroll to the bottom of the description and fill out the form!
Got Sales in Your Soul??
HUGE SALES OPPORTUNITY FOR THE RIGHT PERSON… seriously, you gotta be the right person.
We are small. A lifestyle company. Sort of geeky. No, make that kinda geeky. We produce innovative security awareness interactive multimedia content for a global audience of companies from 10 to 300,000. We are absolute leaders in our niche but choose not to grow big.
We don’t sell shoes, or boxes, or widgets, or food, or cars… We do not sell to consumers… We are not a retailer… We create and provide cyber security awareness training content, materials, and services to help large and small companies train their employees to become more cyber security aware. We also provide comprehensive content delivery mechanisms, which is where our crazy founder, Winn Schwartau, comes in with the geek stuff.
So, sales. Hmmm… some sales folks are the pushy kind whom you want to push right out the door. That’s not us. Some sales folks want to be order takers. Not that either. Think of this as “Consultive Sales” if you will. Customers contact us, so there are no outgoing cold calls. Big customers with names you know. They have already been ‘pre-sold’ on our amazing capabilities through marketing and social media. We are already on the short list. We don’t need to convince them, “You need us…”. They already know that. It’s about so much more…
This job is about tailoring and constructing a workable (not upsold!) suite of content and delivery solutions from an absolutely overwhelming amount of options. That’s why they come to us. Variety. Depth. Flexibility. Imagine…
… your potential customer is pre-sold on how good we are and has definite security awareness needs to train 30,000 employees. Your job is to navigate them through the decision making process. Do they like animation? Do they need it in French or Simplified Chinese? This job is making creative consultative decisions with the client to build an entire Security Awareness Program… and no two are ever the same.
You must thrive on chaos. The founder has a Chaos Cloud as his halo. Customers are well… customers, and need to be hand held, especially when your main contact is clueless and what is really needed is an “off to the side tech talk” to solve a problem holding up the close.
We have a huge freebies area on our website for any business to use for free, which gives us great leads. Customers want our expertise on how run a security awareness program. How to launch a program. How to make it special for them. How to customize it with the amazing production team to back you up. Oftimes, we let our potential clients close themselves due to our transparency and comprehensive website.
Our ‘sales’ is less about SELLING than it is about guiding someone through the purchasing process and helping them through the decision making process – which means the PROCESS is our biggest ‘sales’ technique. We try to save them money. We want a good fit because annuity clients are the best clients. We are flexible. We are super-nice and helpful to our clients, and often just chit-chat to brainstorm their next steps. Some are quick sales, under $1,000 when folks call and just want to order something off the shelf. Others take a lot of time – many, many months – with bigger rewards – and renewals!
The focus of this Sales Position is to expand our B2B sales and initiate new ideas and better methodologies for improving the sales process and capturing more clients that meet our ideal profile.
WHO YOU’D BE WORKING WITH:
The Security Awareness Company is a small, boutique, information security elearning content development company, founded in 1991, that has grown like crazy in the last few years. We create digital training materials for other companies; these materials include monthly newsletters, posters, elearning courses, games, quizzes, videos, screensavers, HTML email blasts, and more.
As a team, we work together as a close knit “family” in which everyone is as important and necessary as everybody else; we are a team. Primadonnas, ego maniacs, slackers, control freaks, and people who “do not play well with others” will not do well and need not apply.
This job can be crazy. Guaranteed. There is always lots to balance, and is overwhelming for some people. Not everyone thrives in this environment, especially since this is a remote job (working from home). Great organization, discipline and prioritization are must-have skills, as well as total self motivation (we hate micromanaging… no time for it and especially because you will be the initial interface between SAC and potential clients!) Oh yeah, you might have to juggle time zones from Asia to Europe. 🙂
You will work intimately with our CEO, the (nutty) Founder, current sales director, and Creative Director to learn the ropes, since each of them will be able to teach you a different aspect of the job. There will be a lot of questions, chaos and ‘shadowing’ in the beginning. Note: Our current Sales Director has chosen to move into a less time demanding position of sales support for personal reasons, but will be a big help with training and guidance as she has been with us for over a decade and has established our style of non-sales.
While our company lives and believes in a ROWE – Results Only Work Environment – allowing all of its employees to figure out a flexible schedule to get the most work done the most efficiently, this position needs to operate on a more traditional 9-5 schedule – and then there is that EU and APAC thing to consider. There is, of course, flexibility in that (8-4, 10-6, running errands in the middle of the day, etc), but as a client-facing position, you will communicate with clients during the normal American workday.
You must be comfortable working on many things at once, able to manage your own time, stay organized and be disciplined. You must communicate exceedingly well through text, to our technical folks, clients and the entire team – since we use a messaging app for 80% of our team communication. The Founder is a real stickler for amazing communication! Just sayin’… We all work from remote home offices so you won’t have someone looming over you reminding you of things constantly. Working from home sounds like a dream but can be challenging. While we will train you to use any necessary software and teach you about our industry, we can not teach you to be good at working remotely. (You might want to take a look at this book which provides a good look at how we work as a successful remote company.)
TYPICAL DAILY TASKS: (no particular order of importance)
- Make inquiries a joy for the potential client – NO HARD SALES! Sell yourself and our company via expertise!
- Make initial contact with incoming potential clients to provide them introductory information and access to our online demo portal.
- Enter these new contacts into our CRM.
- Provide WebEx presentations and conversations with new and renewal clients promoting our content and services.
- Work closely with the marketing and digital strategy department to assist the sales process.
- Determine new and renewal client requirements and provide pricing quotations.
- Send necessary PDF documents to potential clients.
- Communicate with potential new clients to ensure that they have everything they need from us.
- Execute Non-Disclosure Agreements, Statements of Work, and Master Service Agreements with new and renewal clients as needed.
- Work in close communications with our Client Program Manager.
- Track the process of all potential sales in CRM.
- Demo our internal LMS capabilities to clients.
- Interface with SAC partners providing them what they need from a sales perspective.
- Be the “answer person” about SAC content and its services. Be able to answer any question that may be asked by a potential client during the sales cycle (prior to invoicing). Know when to say, “I don’t know but we have a great team who will get me the answer ASAP!” Confidence. Accuracy. Honesty. Efficiency.
- Brief our Client Program Manager and Creative Director about and work with their team on custom client project requests and quotations.
Section 1. ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION
- Be a people person who loves their fellow humans, treating them with respect.
- Previous sales experience of some type. (Geeky stuff in your background?)
- Understanding and creating a powerful sales process and mindset.
- Ability to close sales without being pushy. Navigate the PO, SOW, MSA & NDA Corporate shenanigans. Paperwork. Yep.
- Excellent note-taking.
- Ability to make online presentations to clients via WebEx and the very occasional in-person presentations at meetings, conferences, etc.
- Fabulous, clear, easy-to-understand writing skills.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, takes initiative, unafraid to bring ideas to the table.
- Ability to self-edit and self-teach – you will be learning a LOT in the first few months and have to keep up.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills – like Sherlock Holmes level. Not even kidding. We have a great tech backup staff, but you will likely be in the middle of the discussions from time to time.
- 100% absolute total fluency in MS Office, PDF, CRM, and various other productivity software. (What sort of security tools do you currently use on your laptop and mobile devices? Do you speak security at all?)
- Strong ability to prioritize multiple on-going sales projects and self-manage with the CRM.
- Intermediate technical knowledge (understanding file formats, basic troubleshooting, strong Google-fu). Operating systems; applications; LMS/LRS knowledge Huge Plus. Understanding multimedia file formats, AWS, Cloud, and server applications.
- Attention to detail.
- Willing and able to rapidly learn a lot about something you may not care about yet (elearning and corporate cyber security training).
- Willing and able to rapidly learn a lot about something you SHOULD care about (information security and cyber security awareness).
- Willing and able to become an EXPERT on selling security awareness programs, elearning, LMS management & troubleshooting, gamification, and all of our awesome training materials.
- Ability to work fast and reliably, no exceptions!
- Excellent written communication skills. Even better than our founder!
- Customer service experience. Know how to not get rattled and manage if a client goes postal for no logical reason.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and clients.
- Killer grammar and spelling.
- Patience, kindness, friendliness, optimism, positivity and a strong work ethic.
- Very disciplined and not distracted easily (working from home is no joke!!)
- Manage your ever-growing To Do list without panicking or wanting to curl up in the corner (it happens, and that’s why being a team player is so important here. We all have one another’s backs, but also rely on each person to do their best at all times).
- Home office/workstation with a computer and high-speed internet* (e.g. minimum 30MB down. 3MB up. Ping < 15ms. QOS = 4 Sigma.)
- Must have a separate quiet space to be able to work with clients on WebEx calls uninterrupted or being distracted. Dogs barking does not work so well on WebEx with huge multi-national companies, the Fortune 500 or any professional setting. Cats bark less.
- Desire to become an integral part of a talented, hard-working and overall awesome team.
- Did we mention top notch written communication skills?? 🙂
- Based in/around Nashville for ability to join occasional in-person meetings (a few times a year) and local conferences. Initial training in Nashville. We get together in person for cool things (Escape Game! Holiday Party!) and quarterly company meetings.
*After the review period and we all decide it’s a great fit between you and our culture, and you become a full-fledged member of our team, we’ll make sure you have all the equipment you need to be super efficient and productive. But for the review period, you will definitely need your own computer, software, security tools and a high-speed internet connection.
Section 2. WOULD BE NICE IF YOU ALSO HAD BUT NOT NECESSARY TO GET THE JOB:
- Google Docs, Google Drive and G Suite experience.
- Experience with remote work / telecommuting / working from home.
- eLearning development or administration. (Any coding experience, but decided you didn’t want to be a programmer?)
- Some sort of professional writing experience (good communication skills).
- Experience working in a creative job such as an ad agency, graphic design firm, magazine,content marketing firm, or web design company.
- Multimedia content delivery experience. Mobile device and app experience/knowledge
Section 3. IN AN IDEAL WORLD, WITH ALL THE PLANETS ALIGNED, YOU WOULD:
- Have experience with any LMS (or even know what an LMS is!)
- Know anything at all about LRSs or TinCan API.
- Understand basic info-security practices, buzzwords, lingo, etc.
- Have experience in and knowledge of the information security industry.
- Be passionate about information cyber security.
- Already practice good cyber security (backup, strong passwords, VPN, etc.)
- Have a simple understanding of video editing concepts, audio editing, graphic design, elearning/web/software development, etc. (Not to DO any of that stuff but just to understand it. The more you can understand what our creative team does, the better you can answer client questions.)
- Be a mind reader ☺
Knowledge That Will be Learned on the Job and Expected to Become Second Nature During The First 90 Days:
- Our entire product inventory
- Our client in-take/on-boarding process
- Our detailed sales processes
- How security awareness programs are run and managed in different types of organizations
- Our resource center
- Fluency in GSuites, GQueues, AirTable, Webex, and Zoho.
- Basic technical understanding of different product types, file formats, product availability & flexibility, etc.
- Basic technical understanding of LMS formats, issues, troubleshooting, etc.
COOL THINGS ABOUT WORKING WITH US:
You decide your schedule and get to work from home. Need to pick the kids up from school? Need to go to class? Need a mental health day? Totally cool. Just let us know in advance. You will need to follow a basic 9-5ish schedule, but there is some flexibility there. Occasionally evening work is required to complete a proposal or get an SOW sent out on time.
Our company is > 60% female so that’s cool and different for the information security industry!
Opportunity to attend industry conferences and learn a TON. We mean it. You’ll be overwhelmed with data/information and will have to figure out how to transform it all into knowledge.
Want to take tutorials, seminars or classes related to your job? We’ll cover it! The more YOU know, the more valuable you are to the team 🙂
The work is fast-paced and always changing, so you’re never bored. Overwhelmed, yes. Bored, no.
Our company has earned an awesome reputation with our clients and industry analysts. You’ll get to be part of this exciting growth phase. We want you to become a key-player on our kick-ass team!
THINGS WE DON’T CARE ABOUT:
- If you have a college degree
- If you’re tattooed, pierced, cybernetically-enhanced, web-footed, hump-backed, etc.
- For more on our hiring philosophy, watch our Fearless Founder’s recent talk from RSA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9cdzLi6-o
COMPENSATION (aka the important stuff):
Initial annual salary starts between $35-45K with no commissions. After 90-day review period, we will mutually decide if we are a good fit, and you decide if you still want to do this (ha!), you’re in it to win it, and boom – you become a long-term member of our team; then there is an increase in compensation and a commission structure will be put in place which will grow over time. We do NOT set any upper limit on how much you can earn over time. Our senior sales person made > $150K annually before personal health issues changed things. Ergo, you!
After your first 90 days, you take time off when you want (with advance notice and scheduling – no last minute stuff). We don’t track sick days, vacation days, etc. We want you to maintain a positive life-work balance. We believe in mental health days. We believe in RESULTS and don’t want to have to track when you took an afternoon off to take the kid to the doctor or get an oil change.
We have a few “official company holidays” throughout the year including: President’s day; 4 day weekends for Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day; three days for Thanksgiving; and several days at Christmas.
There is also an option to sign up for healthcare coverage through our parent company, as well as a 401(k) program.
We haven’t scared you people off yet? You’re still interested in this CRAZY job?
Fill out the form below. If we think you may be a good match for our team, we’ll send you follow-up questions via email. If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks or so, please assume we have decided to go in another direction. Thank you for your time. We can’t wait to hear from you!!!